79 Fire Mage suggestions

Here is my 2 cents. I’ve twinked all level mages both this time around and in original wrath, cata, mists. The amount of resil % your getting (7% player dmg reduction) to me is not worth the loss of a lot of crit rating that could be achieved from running some pieces of 70 Sunwell socket gear. You could end up with likely almost 10% crit overall by just switching out maybe half of your wrath pieces. I’m drawing this notion from my experience in 69 bracket and the use of bc socket gear instead of wrath of the lich king 69 questing it . Don’t get me wrong certain pieces of 79 wrath questing item will be great, but in my opinion, most of the frostsavage you’ve chosen likely have better socketed options. With mage in higher level brackets, Ive personally found a more aggressive approach to gameplay with fire is better than sitting in the back playing defensively. Chasing down that efc solo and busting every Cd you got and spamming flag, pushing into mid and blast wave and dragon breathing the pile of guys fighting. These are the moments that make fire shine in the dim light of a fairly linear bracket. And with that being said you have to adjust your gear accordingly. Focusing on crit for more instant pyro procs. If you want I can plot you out a set, or just take my info for what it’s worth and run with it.

https://eightyupgrades.com/set/vFGcjx6FP82JeaAFYcYhB5

I took the liberty and made you a set.
Key Takeaways:
-Jewelcrafting for 3 drsgonseye gems and trinket
-Hand mounted rockets instead of haste enchant to gloves (like 10% haste at 79 not worth)
-Scorch spec as now with more crit you can farm those instant pyro
-Noticed both your build and my build end up with nearly same health, mana and SP, but mine has about 16% more crit. I’ll take 16% more crit, 5% more haste, and 100 SP more, than 7% resil and 700 more HP any day as fire

Not to mention the 9% extra crit % you get from fire spells not shown in eightyupgrades (6% all and 3% with fire) bringing it to nearly critting half of the time

Last edited:
Here is my 2 cents. I’ve twinked all level mages both this time around and in original wrath, cata, mists. The amount of resil % your getting (7% player dmg reduction) to me is not worth the loss of a lot of crit rating that could be achieved from running some pieces of 70 Sunwell socket gear. You could end up with likely almost 10% crit overall by just switching out maybe half of your wrath pieces. I’m drawing this notion from my experience in 69 bracket and the use of bc socket gear instead of wrath of the lich king 69 questing it . Don’t get me wrong certain pieces of 79 wrath questing item will be great, but in my opinion, most of the frostsavage you’ve chosen likely have better socketed options. With mage in higher level brackets, Ive personally found a more aggressive approach to gameplay with fire is better than sitting in the back playing defensively. Chasing down that efc solo and busting every Cd you got and spamming flag, pushing into mid and blast wave and dragon breathing the pile of guys fighting. These are the moments that make fire shine in the dim light of a fairly linear bracket. And with that being said you have to adjust your gear accordingly. Focusing on crit for more instant pyro procs. If you want I can plot you out a set, or just take my info for what it’s worth and run with it.

https://eightyupgrades.com/set/vFGcjx6FP82JeaAFYcYhB5

I took the liberty and made you a set.
Key Takeaways:
-Jewelcrafting for 3 drsgonseye gems and trinket
-Hand mounted rockets instead of haste enchant to gloves (like 10% haste at 79 not worth)
-Scorch spec as now with more crit you can farm those instant pyro
-Noticed both your build and my build end up with nearly same health, mana and SP, but mine has about 16% more crit. I’ll take 16% more crit, 5% more haste, and 100 SP more, than 7% resil and 700 more HP any day as fire

Not to mention the 9% extra crit % you get from fire spells not shown in eightyupgrades (6% all and 3% with fire) bringing it to nearly critting half of the time
You got a 69 build?

Users who are viewing this thread