Top 10 reasons to twink in Cataclysm Classic

For me Cata begins the truly golden age of twinking -- where more choices and easier gearing open up the field.

This thread is all about encouraging people to join in this golden age.

But if you dig what you are doing -- keep doing it. If you end up on Mankrik Horde side and want some help getting started or some dungeon runs, hit me up.

I can backdoor Gnomer with my drood in 7 minutes.

the biggest unfair grandfathering event when CATA launched was in the 49 bracket. they were doing revivals second part of WOTLK with some success, but GF gear killed it going into CATA. they had to do rules and agreements, but players still cheated when wanting to cap a flag or kill a FC, do a 1 vs 5, and be seriously hard to kill with GF gear

in WOTLK 49s were able to be ran thru old van wow dungeons that dropped gear they could not equip, but be traded to them, on the CATA prepatch the this gear could be equipped. this gear before prepatch could be enchanted with WOTLK enchants, gloves/bracers a socket added to them, and a buckle to add socket to belt and use WOTLK gems. this was figured out on PTR, never fully shared

the bracer/glove socket trade exploit was being done even into early MOP in all brackets. until blizz thru reports finally dealt with it

the biggest unfair grandfathering event when CATA launched was in the 49 bracket. they were doing revivals second part of WOTLK with some success, but GF gear killed it going into CATA. they had to do rules and agreements, but players still cheated when wanting to cap a flag or kill a FC, do a 1 vs 5, and be seriously hard to kill with GF gear

in WOTLK 49s were able to be ran thru old van wow dungeons that dropped gear they could not equip, but be traded to them, on the CATA prepatch the this gear could be equipped. this gear before prepatch could be enchanted with WOTLK enchants, gloves/bracers a socket added to them, and a buckle to add socket to belt and use WOTLK gems. this was figured out on PTR, never fully shared

the bracer/glove socket trade exploit was being done even into early MOP in all brackets. until blizz thru reports finally dealt with it
Got any more details? My memory is failing me on this one.

EDIT: wait I think I remember what you're referring to. You can't trade dungeon gear on Classic though, right?

Last edited:
look at the dungeons that a 49 can enter that drops gear for like a 55 player with item level gear 60+ which i believe are WOTLK enchantible.

look at the dungeons that a 49 can enter that drops gear for like a 55 player with item level gear 60+ which i believe are WOTLK enchantible.
Right, that part's self explanatory - but in classic there's no 2 hour trading window for dungeons. Enchanting through trade window makes sense, but you can't socket this time around because of the lack of trading right?

Also the gear has to require 60 (now) to take wrath enchants, not just have item level 60 doesn't it? The majority of the gear you're referring to requires 50-59.

Last edited:
i believe pass, need or greed loot rules were still in effect in van WOTLK, what blizzard has done in classic WOTLK? i have no clue.

low level twinks used the ilvl-35+ gear to use BC enchants which you know, in WOTLK fresh made 59s using BC quest rewards that were previously inferior in BC had a ilvl that made the WOTLK enchantible, etc. then became BIS

i believe need or greed loot rules were still in effect in van WOTLK, what blizzard has done in classic WOTLK? i have no clue.

low level twinks used the ilvl-35+ gear to use BC enchants which you know, in WOTLK fresh made 59s using BC quest rewards that were previously inferior in BC had a ilvl that made the WOTLK enchantible, etc. then became BIS
In Classic wrath the 2 hour trading rule is only for raids, despite it being available in original wrath. However you can always enchant through the trade window, but no socket shenanigans.

My confusion is that (and I might be misremembering how it worked for Wrath enchants, but I'm 100% sure about BC enchants) for enchanting items, the requirement is both item level and required level (if it has one) need to be above the threshold of 35/60, which would make what you're suggesting not doable as none of the gear goes from 60 to sub-60, it's all hovering in the 50s.

EDIT: Confirmed to make sure, yeah you can't enchant stuff that requires <60 with Wrath enchants.

Last edited:
the gear on the CATA prepatch went below the WOTLK enchantible threshold, but if you had them on your gear they were still active. all a player needed back then i believe was level 1 blacksmithing for sockets in bracers and gloves to be active

somewhere either before or on the great twink nerf of WOTLK, blizzard made certain enchants like head, shoulder, legs require actual player level to be active.

the gear on the CATA prepatch went below the WOTLK enchantible threshold, but if you had them on your gear they were still active. all a player needed back then i believe was level 1 blacksmithing for sockets in bracers and gloves to be active

somewhere either before or on the great twink nerf of WOTLK, blizzard made certain enchants like head, shoulder, legs require actual player level to be active.
I understand that, but I don't think you could ever enchant things (using enchanting - not other prof shenanigans) that required <60 with Wrath enchants if they dropped from a dungeon like you suggested above - they have to require 60+ if they have any level requirement. The items that dropped from 55-59 to sub-50 were never eligible for wrath enchants. Maybe I am confused and you were never referring to anything but the sockets, but your post made it sound like people were putting Enchanting enchants on 55-59 gear and waiting for the prepatch to equip it.

Thankfully this time around the socket nonsense doesn't work either, as you need a high enough profession level, not just (1).

"your post made it sound like people were putting Enchanting enchants on 55-59 gear and waiting for the prepatch to equip it."

no sounded like, it happened. it killed the 49 twink community and further revival in CATA as already stated and why. not sure if old twink info posts from that era was archived, the drama etc concerning this was 13+ years ago. imo the biggest unfair GF gear event was the 49 bracket. which imo makes a 19 horde who faction swapped to get a seal of wrynn ring, tunic of westfall, etc. or whatever a 29 could get lame in comparison

"your post made it sound like people were putting Enchanting enchants on 55-59 gear and waiting for the prepatch to equip it."

no sounded like, it happened. it killed the 49 twink community and further revival in CATA as already stated and why. not sure if old twink info posts from that era was archived, the drama etc concerning this was 13+ years ago. imo the biggest unfair GF gear event was the 49 bracket. which imo makes a 19 horde who faction swapped to get a seal of wrynn ring, tunic of westfall, etc. or whatever a 29 could get lame in comparison
Super curious if you could dig up the details cause the way you described it doesn't make sense given how wrath enchants work(ed). You could never enchant gear that required >1 & <60 with wrath enchants.

49s YAS -- I had a 49 sub rogue -- splat.

49 warlocks. Wow.

I remember a 49 undead warrior named Lit. Kang the Decapitator. Splat.

Users who are viewing this thread