Interesting gear/dungeon update just rolled onto the beta...

For what it's worth, the PTR already has Dragonflight prepatch content changes, and gear remains unchanged. I realize this is beta, but I doubt they are going to increase ilvl 34 gear to ilvl 89 or 112 or whatever. No idea why those ilvls are so high on the beta, but things are not that way on the PTR.

but I doubt they are going to increase ilvl 34 gear to ilvl 89 or 112 or whatever. No idea why those ilvls are so high on the beta, but things are not that way on the PTR.

It was already confirmed that they are trying to smooth out the leveling gear curve to allow leveling toons to not be so gimped as they approach 60. There's a link to a wowhead article on it somewhere in here, explains it better than I can.

Short version is that instead of gear drops increasing 1 ilevel each character level they are increasing 3 ilevel.

Because level 60 gear is like 200 or 245 or some crazy thing now and to go from ilvl 45 gear at 39 to ilvl 200+ at 60 in the normal leveling process is a nightmare, I guess. so instead of squishing anything they are smoothing out the curve from 1-60.

So some midlevel gear will increase quite a bit, and beta 29 is actually pretty close to accurate for 3 ilvl/level. I dont know how invested they are in doing it, dungeon loot is all over the place on beta. It's a big disparity from bracket top to bottom.

It was already confirmed that they are trying to smooth out the leveling gear curve to allow leveling toons to not be so gimped as they approach 60. There's a link to a wowhead article on it somewhere in here, explains it better than I can.

Short version is that instead of gear drops increasing 1 ilevel each character level they are increasing 3 ilevel.

Because level 60 gear is like 200 or 245 or some crazy thing now and to go from ilvl 45 gear at 39 to ilvl 200+ at 60 in the normal leveling process is a nightmare, I guess. so instead of squishing anything they are smoothing out the curve from 1-60.

So some midlevel gear will increase quite a bit, and beta 29 is actually pretty close to accurate for 3 ilvl/level. I dont know how invested they are in doing it, dungeon loot is all over the place on beta. It's a big disparity from bracket top to bottom.

How likely do you think they are to make such a change with 4 days left until prepatch goes live? What we see on the PTR is likely to be what we see on live in a few days. Maybe this is slated to be implemented the second part of the prepatch?

Sorry i cant read shit on my phone, yes likeky phase 2

Beta is too broken to be this week, imo. But they've made me a liar before.....

Gear is either going to really break things, or balance things. Having so much stat weight on gear this early on... people who don't get gear are going to feel worse than now.

So those blue ToC drops are on Wowhead beta version now, not sure if they were before cuz I dont really check it much.

https://www.wowhead.com/beta/item=47522/marrowstrike?bonus=8994
https://www.wowhead.com/beta/item=47214/banner-of-victory?bonus=8994

They're still epic on the dungeon page and the boss page but blue when you select to view the individual item. Might be worth sifting through if there's specific loot you're looking to find out up/downgrades, not sure how accurate it will be tho.

Are there anything worth farming during the 2 weeks of pre launch event Primal Storms? For lower levels like 10 to 39

I already did my ToC farming on the toons I wanted to do it on. Not really worried about the changes, per se... just wondering why they are going to put so much more power into gear items, suddenly.

i hope everyone isnt only farming TOC, there also option from FOS POS HOR,
Example -
Screenshot (144).png pos
Screenshot (145).pngtoc

WoD dungeons too, tho you need to proc epic and hopefully a tert bonus. If you want mastery, WoD is basically your only farm outside mayhe a couple MoP drops.

I doubt they are going to increase ilvl 34 gear to ilvl 89 or 112 or whatever.

To insert a broader perspective here to show you how utterly fucked up the item levels currently ACTUALLY are;

---
From the perspective of a level 25 (60) character.

Legendaries - ilv29
Raid Epics - ilv28/29/30
Crafted Blues/Epics scaled to level 23 with relic of the past - ilv28

Dungeon Blues I already had - ilv30
Dungeon Blues I recently obtained - ilv74
Dungeon Epics I already had - ilv27/28/29
Dungeon Epics I obtained recently - ilv100 :Pepega:

Legion BoE Epic drops - ilv78

Blues from Dungeons - ilv74

Green Quest Rewards - ilv54
Blue upgrades from Quests - ilv60
Epic upgrades from Quests - ilv70

Legion Artifact Weapons - ilv49

Level-45 Relic gear from Battle for Azeroth - ilv64
Heart of Azeroth - ilv109

and for some reason..

Epic gear from Trial of the Champion NORMAL that I already have - ilv100
Gear from Trial of the Champion NORMAL in Dragonflight, which are no longer epic, but blues - ilv89
Gear from Trial of the Champion HEROIC in Dragonflight, which is still epic - ilv91
---

As you can see, none of it makes any sense except for:

Green Quest Rewards - ilv54
Blue upgrades from Quests - ilv60
Epic upgrades from Quests - ilv70

Which is what I believe they might actually be aiming for as a final result.

They just have to scale all existing gear that requires level 25 to the correct item levels; All Greens ilv54, All Blues ilv60, All Epics ilv70.

Whether they will do so, or do so correctly is an entirely different matter of course.

--

Oh and apparently according to the tooltip border, this is Azerite gear now.

unknown.png

[doublepost=1666669034,1666668714][/doublepost]Oh and as a side note -- I receive way too many %-stats per Stat point.

I'm at 50% crit, 155% movement speed, 21% leech.

Clearly not intended.

Oh and as a side note -- I receive way too many %-stats per Stat point.

I'm at 50% crit, 155% movement speed, 21% leech

Cuz we're level 25-29 basically in shadowlands starting gear... I get that they're "smoothing it out" but it is rather broken.

I dont know how they can change it further and still maintain that goal. They dont want such a leap from like 40-60 for leveling purposes and contiuity but that was like what.... from ilvl 45 to ilvl 245? That's alot of difference to "smooth".

Plus epic being epic again is cool... I'd think they'd fug that up first. 1 ilvl difference was the stupidest thing I ever experienced so I imagine they'll try going back to that before launch, only it would be like 3 ilvl difference in the current scaling I guess.

Cuz we're level 25-29 basically in shadowlands starting gear... I get that they're "smoothing it out" but it is rather broken.

I dont know how they can change it further and still maintain that goal. They dont want such a leap from like 40-60 for leveling purposes and contiuity but that was like what.... from ilvl 45 to ilvl 245? That's alot of difference to "smooth".

Plus epic being epic again is cool... I'd think they'd fug that up first. 1 ilvl difference was the stupidest thing I ever experienced so I imagine they'll try going back to that before launch, only it would be like 3 ilvl difference in the current scaling I guess.

It was less a criticism and more of a point to emphasize that they aren't finished tuning yet.

They'll adjust the values and normalize it. Unless they slack out again. It's Blizzard so you never really know.

But realistically yes, they'll adjust it just fine.

I personally like the high secondary values. Makes farming terts super valuable. Most people in Shadowlands didn’t really care about the terts and just slapped on BoE sockets and called it a day. This places a ton of value on farming full tert sets and rewards the grind for dedicated twinks.

The only thing I’m worried about right now is the damage output in relation to player health. Hopefully the damage is not too wild and hopefully there are some good defensive trinkets we can use to mitigate the damage.

I personally like the high secondary values. Makes farming terts super valuable. Most people in Shadowlands didn’t really care about the terts and just slapped on BoE sockets and called it a day. This places a ton of value on farming full tert sets and rewards the grind for dedicated twinks.

The only thing I’m worried about right now is the damage output in relation to player health. Hopefully the damage is not too wild and hopefully there are some good defensive trinkets we can use to mitigate the damage.

+Speed was just not as important as people wanted it to be, and +Leech did not save you from 3k Chaos Bolts... the tert's would have to really impact the game to matter... and that grey area between a nice bonus and being totally broken is just something that Blizzard has shown over and over and over that they cannot achieve, especially at low level.

I remember Odin on his DK and Bark on his Ret with the speed sets had a damage advantage simply because they were in the fight more. From a damage perspective it was completely situational and was not worth the time/effort to farm/gold to buy to squeeze out that extra 5% damage once in a while... but on the flip side, it was worth the time and effort to just have a bad ass platinum twink.

+Speed was just not as important as people wanted it to be, and +Leech did not save you from 3k Chaos Bolts... the tert's would have to really impact the game to matter... and that grey area between a nice bonus and being totally broken is just something that Blizzard has shown over and over and over that they cannot achieve, especially at low level.

I remember Odin on his DK and Bark on his Ret with the speed sets had a damage advantage simply because they were in the fight more. From a damage perspective it was completely situational and was not worth the time/effort to farm/gold to buy to squeeze out that extra 5% damage once in a while... but on the flip side, it was worth the time and effort to just have a bad ass platinum twink.

Druid FC with 250% movement speed is gonna be amazing imo. And as long as the Dmg doesn’t have any One Shot classes, a Leech build could potentially be amazing! I’m not going to be upset at all if dps survivability is broken because I’m tired of the zero survivability meta

Druid FC with 250% movement speed is gonna be amazing imo. And as long as the Dmg doesn’t have any One Shot classes, a Leech build could potentially be amazing! I’m not going to be upset at all if dps survivability is broken because I’m tired of the zero survivability meta

We'll know shortly. But what will really matter is if/when they clear up the i112 gear (if that actually makes it live - and we can be pretty sure that is a 3-4 month fix if it does) and then after that what is the base damage of the classes... as shown above... speed is not gonna matter if a monk can 5k you in 1 seconds.

Last edited:
We'll know shortly. But what will really matter is if/when they clear up the i112 gear (if that actually makes it live - and we can be pretty sure that is a 3-4 month fix if it does) and then after that what is the base damage of the classes... as shown above... speed is not gonna matter if a monk can 5k you in 1 seconds.

Agreed… I’m praying the damage and healing are reigned in but even endgame on Beta looks crazy af… they need like a 30% damage/healing nerf across the board. Maybe 50% below max level

Users who are viewing this thread