f2p PvE guardian druid in-depth stats analysis

Paroag

Veteran
Here is a guide no one ever asked for. Let's dive in.

Introduction
Guardian druid is a very strong spec at 20, combining very good damage output, very good damage mitigation, and good self healing capabilities. How to best optimize your stats to make the most out of your druid ?

agility > leech >= attack power > armor > versa >= mastery > haste > crit > dodge

If you made it this far, congratulation. You are about to read some excessively complex math to understand how to optimize a bunch of pixels for a content that you are going to steamroll anyway.

What is a build, and why I do no care about it
There are several ways to optimize your toon, depending on the situation in which you want to excel. These are often referred to by players as "builds". For instance if you want to exclusively focus on your damage output and completely ignore damage mitigation, then haste is superior to versatility for guardian druid. I would not advise to do so as there is a small increase in damage output for a huge loss in damage mitigation, but it is nevertheless a build that is optimized for a specific purpose. On the other hand, a crit build is just hot garbage and is completely sub par. You can play one if you want, but the only thing it does optimize is your fun (which is great).

In this guide I will present stats for a well rounded guardian druid. Think of it as of a druid that will be optimized to solo hard content. It should be the default option for almost every player, and if you want to pursue another build you should have good reasons.

Quick Stats overview
Agility is without doubt the most important stat for guardian druids. It provides increase in attack power at 1:1 ratio, it provides dodge, it increases the amount of armor from ironfur at 1:1 ratio and provides spell power
Attack power provides most of the benefits from agility except for the extra dodge chance and the armor from ironfur
Stamina increases health by 44 every 4 rating (before mastery/bear form multiplier)
Critical strike increases our critical chance by 1.02% every 4 rating
Haste decreases your spell CD, the GCD and increases attack speed by 1.08% every 4 rating.
Versatility increases damage and healing done by 0.89% and reduces damage taken by 0.45% every 4 rating
Mastery increases attack power by 1%, health and healing received by 0.5% every 4 rating
Armor reduces physical damage taken. It is subject to diminishing returns but you should except approximatively 1.6% of physical reduction per 4 armor in bear form
Dodge increases dodge chance by 0.92% every 4 rating
Leech increases lifesteal by 1.7% every 4 rating

Debunking common stats myths

Myth#1: It is less worth to stack a stat past 30% due to diminishing return

As most of you know, every secondary is subject to diminishing return starting 30%. https://fr.wowhead.com/guides/diminishing-returns-on-secondary-stats-in-world-of-warcraft

It does not mean that a secondary is less worth stacking past 30%. Due to the mechanics of the secondary itself, it could be even better past 30%. Let me explain.

• Going from 0% to 10% versatility provides exactly a 10% increase in damage and a 5% reduction of damage.
  • Going from 20 to 30% versatility (same rating, before diminishing returns) provides a 8.3% (=130/120) increase in damage and 5.6% (=1-(85/90)) reduction of damage.
  • Going from 30% to 39% versatility (i.e. the same versatility rating but with the diminishing return) provides a 6.9% (=139/130) increase in damage and a 5.3% (=1-(80.5/85)) damage reduction.
The more versatility you stack, the more defensive the stat is becoming. Due to the nature of damage reduction, versatility becomes marginally better the more you have it, up to a certain point where diminishing returns hit so hard that it becomes not worth (this point is past 39% vers). You SHOULD stack versatility.

Myth#2: Dodge is a bad stat

Dodge provides 0.92% physical damage reduction per 4 ratings. In small quantities (I tested up to 5 dodge rating), it is not affected by diminishing returns. It is almost on par with bad secondaries stats like crit and should not be ignored.

Myth#3: Mastery is always better than versatility for guardian druid

Mastery and versatility can be compared for guardian druids. By increasing both health pool and healing received, mastery behaves mechanically exactly as damage reduction.

We can in fact calculate how much damage reduction can be expected from 1 extra point of versatility, and how much damage reduction can be expected from one point of mastery. The math is pretty ugly, but here are the formula
  • X is your current mastery rating
  • Y is your current vers rating
-(0.871*Y-781.25)/(X+812.5)**2
0.871/(X+812.5)
Overall damage mitigation is a product of mitigation from vers, mitigation from mastery, and a mitigation factor from other stats that is independent of vers and mastery. Writing down the formula and computing the math derivate regarding mastery (resp. versatility) rating should yield the above results

The question we are trying to answer is in fact more simple: when is mastery better than versatility for damage reduction ? It can be deduced from the above formulas with some extra computations, and the answer is both very surprising and straightforward: versatility is better than mastery for damage reduction as long as the sum of your mastery rating and versatility rating is higher than 84 (should always happen for a twink).

Regarding damage output, the math is actually a lot more simple. Mastery is better for damage output until it reaches 50 rating more than versatility.

For instance if you currently have 75 mastery and 25 vers, vers is strictly better both offensively and defensively and should be the preferred option.

Myth#4: Leech is a tertiary stat

Guardian druid combines really high damage mitigation and really high damage output. Having some leech makes self sustaining the incoming damage incredibly easy. I’m not very familiar with how much the leech scales at higher rating, but as long as it does not hit diminishing returns, it is almost as strong as AGILITY.

Think about it differently: usually it’s harder to heal yourself than to deal damage to enemies while playing guardian druid, as you need to come off bear form to do so efficiently. Healing yourself for X is more valuable than dealing X extra damage. 4 agility on a 200 agility base is basically ~2% damage increase. 4 leech is 1.7% lifesteal, i.e. almost the same amout but in healing, which is, as I said, more valuable.

Why crit is hot garbage
Crit is the only secondary that does not provide any extra benefit outside of sheer damage.
  • Mastery provides damage mitigation
  • Versatility provides damage mitigation
  • Haste provide higher rage gain and faster damage ramping
The extra damage for crit is not even as high as haste (1.02 vs 1.08). No seriously, it's bad !

Why your stuff should come with a lot of crit
A good f2p stuff should be around ~25% crit. It is not that crit is good: It's because the best available options for f2p have a lot of crit on them.

Conclusion
agility > leech >= attack power > armor > versa >= mastery > haste > crit > dodge
Stamina has almost no impact in long sustained fight, and for this reason it's hard to directly compare it to other stats. It's a strong stats nonetheless.

I hope you learnt something reading this guide. Even if unconventional, this priority list has been done using math and data, I care about your constructive criticism. Thanks for reading !

Last edited:
Have you tested on dungeon bosses? How do you manage high damage that you receive? And what about the time that you are without bear form (regrowth cast)

Great breakdown! I like the mastery and vers comparison, I've done something similar with destro mastery in the past. Also maybe compare the 5 ap and the 4 agi glove enchant as well as weapon dmg enchant, massacre, mighty agility and dancing steel for weapon. Worth noting that bear's weapon speed is set to 2 or 2.5(I don't remember the exact) and isn't modified by weapon speed so you always get more value from high weapon dmg.

Very interesting analysis for Guardian Druid!
I have some points though to keep in mind:

Dodge is affected by Diminishing return. Compare to other stat somehow, it starts at 0% instead of 30%. It does only apply when you have Dodge from gear stats and gems, not from Agility directly. The same thing applies for Parry.

Don't worry about Leech DR, you'll not reach it even if you're at the maximum leech you could get via ilvl28 gears.

Versa is great as you stated, but investing 180 point to get 39% Versa is probably not worth. 30% is very hard to get already if you're not a Intel user (for the Int/Versa gems, you need 135 points to reach 30%), investing more will probably resulting you to be less strong, as you could invest in Mastery/Haste to be tankier/kill faster.

Nice thread though! Keep it up man!

Twink all day!

Thanks for the feedback !

Have you tested on dungeon bosses? How do you manage high damage that you receive? And what about the time that you are without bear form (regrowth cast)

I have done quite a lot of dungeon solo with my guardian druid. regrowth heals between 600 and 700, meaning you will be full after two usually. For most bosses, there is a window on which it is appropriate to self heal (during a cast for instance). For others, you can still easily manage to win by just healing during the lower damage phases. I also always have healing and mana pot if necessary !

Great breakdown! I like the mastery and vers comparison, I've done something similar with destro mastery in the past. Also maybe compare the 5 ap and the 4 agi glove enchant as well as weapon dmg enchant, massacre, mighty agility and dancing steel for weapon. Worth noting that bear's weapon speed is set to 2 or 2.5(I don't remember the exact) and isn't modified by weapon speed so you always get more value from high weapon dmg.

Isn't the wrath glove enchant 5 agility ?
I have not investigate further yet on weapon enchants tbh. I guess weapon damage is always good, as a lot of stuff scales with it for feral and guardian (regrowth for instance). There may be better options out there, I will need to do further testing !

Very interesting analysis for Guardian Druid!
I have some points though to keep in mind:

Dodge is affected by Diminishing return. Compare to other stat somehow, it starts at 0% instead of 30%. It does only apply when you have Dodge from gear stats and gems, not from Agility directly. The same thing applies for Parry.

Don't worry about Leech DR, you'll not reach it even if you're at the maximum leech you could get via ilvl28 gears.

Versa is great as you stated, but investing 180 point to get 39% Versa is probably not worth. 30% is very hard to get already if you're not a Intel user (for the Int/Versa gems, you need 135 points to reach 30%), investing more will probably resulting you to be less strong, as you could invest in Mastery/Haste to be tankier/kill faster.

Nice thread though! Keep it up man!

Twink all day!

Dodge may be affected with diminishing returns, but it is not the case up to 5 dodge rating. I don't think there is a lot of way to get massive amout of dodge, I just want to highlight that the +1 dodge on TBC sockets bonus should not be ignored when building a guardian druid !
I agree that it is currently hard (impossible ?) to reach the 30% versa threshold for agility toons, I just wanted to insist on the fact that vers is getting marginally better defensively has you stack it, even past the first DR. This is fairly general and the same conclusion can be drawn for all int users out there ! On a general note, I think guardian druid (and most PVE toon that do not have extra synergy with some secondaries) should value the sheer amount of stats on an item instead of focusing on one or two specific secondaries. 2 crit will almost always be better than <insert your favorite secondary here>

Once DF hits and all druids get access to frenzied regeneration - this will be a massive boost to Guardian survivability in both pve and pvp (if f2p pvp ever returns). the bonuses/synergies guardian receives from mastery will be amplified once this hits.

I know this is geared toward f2p - but obtaining leech, especially as f2p is extremely difficult. Best bet would be a chance at BFA rares for rings with tertiary. Once more dungeons open up, it will be more feasible for f2p to do the grind to fill every slot with tert + socket from dungeon.

Once again, knowing that your guide is geared toward f2p, I have gotten a ton of mileage out of stacking mastery and haste. Haste goes far beyond rage generation as well. I have even chosen to forego Agil/ap for mastery or even stamina where it makes sense, enchant wise. Though I play mostly pvp, Im sure many of the principals of maximizing damage and survivability remain.

Once DF hits and all druids get access to frenzied regeneration - this will be a massive boost to Guardian survivability in both pve and pvp (if f2p pvp ever returns). the bonuses/synergies guardian receives from mastery will be amplified once this hits.

I know this is geared toward f2p - but obtaining leech, especially as f2p is extremely difficult. Best bet would be a chance at BFA rares for rings with tertiary. Once more dungeons open up, it will be more feasible for f2p to do the grind to fill every slot with tert + socket from dungeon.

Once again, knowing that your guide is geared toward f2p, I have gotten a ton of mileage out of stacking mastery and haste. Haste goes far beyond rage generation as well. I have even chosen to forego Agil/ap for mastery or even stamina where it makes sense, enchant wise. Though I play mostly pvp, Im sure many of the principals of maximizing damage and survivability remain.

Frenzy regeneration and swipe are very promising for guardian druid for sure.

Leech is hard to come by for sure, but there are many stuffs in BFA dungeon that can proc leech or leech + socket and be bis (wrist, trinket, finger*2, cloak, belt ..). I'm not talking about stacking leech but just explain that it should be valued highly on stuff.

I'm very interested about your input on haste. I can see that it improves rage generation and ramp up time, but I do not see much more currently ?

For the agi/ap vs mastery, I have to strongly disagree. At least at a 1:1 ratio, agi is far superior to mastery. I may consider trading it starting 1:2 ratio, but I'm not even sure.

Users who are viewing this thread