Veteran Edition account (6.1 update)

Reactivate = Resubscribe
Is that not obvious?

but the misinformation will flow. oh, that 'other' thread.

At least it should be clear by 6.1's release to prevent potentially lost 20's to upgrades. Or else March could be a very interesting month. Auto-linked trials is all this is, or I'll eat my hat.

You keep saying that you are sure it will be as such, when multiple blizz sources have been cited in this thread stating you will be able to log into any character on an account that is below level 21.

ie: https://mobile.twitter.com/AzyxA/status/555859071534759937?p=v

I don't understand where your information is coming from.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactivate = Resubscribe
Is that not obvious?

but the misinformation will flow. oh, that 'other' thread.

At least it should be clear by 6.1's release to prevent potentially lost 20's to upgrades. Or else March could be a very interesting month. Auto-linked trials is all this is, or I'll eat my hat.

What's yer hat made of, good sir? :D

Below level 21 does not specify a previously played and paid for character. That tweet is vague, possibly deliberately. You're seeing what you want to there.
Nothing stated thus far negates my interpretation or yours. But it should be fairly obvious which is more likely.

Predictions are going as far as saying all bank slots will be available. It's getting rather silly. If you give this just a little thought from the side of the game developer and not the want-something-for-nothing chronic trial gamer, you should realize how utterly unlikely these projected super-trials after unsubscribing are.

Below level 21 does not specify a previously played and paid for character. That tweet is vague, possibly deliberately. You're seeing what you want to there.
Nothing stated thus far negates my interpretation or yours. But it should be fairly obvious which is more likely.

Predictions are going as far as saying all bank slots will be available. It's getting rather silly. If you give this just a little thought from the side of the game developer and not the want-something-for-nothing chronic trial gamer, you should realize how utterly unlikely these projected super-trials after unsubscribing are.

"So this essentially means i'll be able to play my level 1-20 toons for free on my current lapsed account?"

"Yup!"

Doesn't seem vague to me.

You need a bit of reading comprehension 101.

...ok. being flippant again maybe, but I'm not sure what else to say here.
It's not specified that the 1-20 character is previously played and paid for or non-trial.

It's not specified that the 1-20 character is previously played and paid for or non-trial.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to switch hats and ask you to avoid being personal. You said earlier that some people were reading what they wanted to into what was said, so surely you have to also acknowledge that you are reading what you want to into what they said as well.

No, I meant, you're making your interpretation of the blue posts just like others are making theirs. So it's not really valid to tell someone else that they're just seeing what they want to see, when you are too. That's what I meant.

"Nothing stated thus far negates my interpretation or yours."
Someone wrote that earlier. Though I meant it in a general sense. Some of the extrapolations are kinda off the wall (and arguably against the intent of confirmed restriction policies).

Okay, I mean, I'm not going to delve any further with it than this, other to say I did pretty well defend your position to others earlier, so I'm asking you to allow them theirs without suggesting that anyone is being any more speculative than you are. If we're in accord on that point, then there isn't much else to say on the subject, okay?

Ok, Lets break it down then, and see what is being said.

"So this essentially means i'll be able to play my level 1-20 toons for free on my current lapsed account?"

In the sentence, the speaker identifies that the characters in question are his level 1-20 characters that are on his currently lapsed account. This means not characters on a different linked trial account.

It's always possible Bashiok misunderstood the question, but if it's intended that all lapsed accounts will just be auto linked with a trial account, I would assume Bashiok would have replied much differently.

Obviously I won't be convincing you of anything here, what I was really interested in was where you are getting the idea of auto linked trial accounts to lapsed accounts from, as I can't find any information that would even imply that, which leads me to believe I've missed something. If there isn't any additional information you've seen that has convinced you of what you think will happen, then we can both continue to speculate about what we think.

"In the sentence, the speaker identifies that the characters in question are his level 1-20 characters that are on his currently lapsed account. This means not characters on a different linked trial account."

I'll stop you there.
A veteran (or whatever they call it) account can be dormant with new trial characters active.

You don't need to over-think this to see the vagueness. Again, you might be right or I might be right. We'll see.

The idea for auto-linked trials comes from a logical conclusion which answers just about every problematic detail people have been bringing up. You access a trial, you upgrade it and it's no longer a trial (just like linked accounts). It's a guess, but a good one.

"In the sentence, the speaker identifies that the characters in question are his level 1-20 characters that are on his currently lapsed account. This means not characters on a different linked trial account."

I'll stop you there.
A veteran (or whatever they call it) account can be dormant with new trial characters active.

That's not what the question is asking though. He quite clearly means his characters that currently exist on his currently inactive account. Like I said, it's possible that Bashiok misunderstood the question like you are, and thus answered with a simple yes.

Either way, the f2p community will keep hoping for confirmation of the good news. :)

The question does not clearly state non-trial characters, period. It can be read either way without misunderstanding, deliberate or not. This is especially so considering the topic of discussion.

Q: On veteran accounts, can I continue to play my sub-21's after my subscription expires?
A: Certainly! (but only those that have not been upgraded)

Q: On veteran accounts, can I continue to play my upgraded sub-21's after my subscription expires?
A: Certainly!

Now, THOSE exchanges are not so vague. The one that took place on Twitter is.

Q: On veteran accounts, can I continue to play my sub-21's after my subscription expires?
A: Certainly! (but only those that have not been upgraded)

What would upgraded mean in that context? Characters that are on a Starter Edition account? And thus not on the veteran account, like the asker asked? All characters "on a veteran account" are, by definition, "upgraded".

By 'upgraded' I'm referring to trial characters created on a veteran account that are upgraded with a renewed subscription, removing trial restrictions. This is all within the newly defined veteran account of course, not linked.

By 'upgraded' I'm referring to trial characters created on a veteran account that are upgraded with a renewed subscription, removing trial restrictions. This is all within the newly defined veteran account of course, not linked.

I apologize for being straightforward, but "trial characters created on a veteran account" does not make sense. Maybe that's where the disconnect has been. You make "trial" characters on a Starter Edition account, or you make regular characters on a full paid account, which becomes a "veteran" account when its time lapses. If you're referring to new characters made on a veteran account after the subscription lapses, those are characters created on a paid account, not a Starter Edition account. Characters created on a lapsed paid account don't become "upgraded" when you pay again... they are simply characters on an account, subject to the same restrictions as all the other characters on the account.

Look, I said I wasn't going to go any further with this discussion, but here we are. From my point of view (and I think everyone else who has spoken shares this), I give your point of view credit for being possible, but seeing the verbal magic that you're basing it on, I don't think your scenario is plausible, and I think the logical steps you're reaching to get to it are tenuous. Clearly you have great faith in your point of view, and I'm not here to take that away from you... but certainly you might start to think about whether that hat will taste like crow.

Anyway, all in the spirit of healthy debate, but seriously, I'm going to bed.

Editing to add: Per Blizzard's terminology (check on it), Starter Edition accounts get upgraded, while lapsed paid accounts (which internally they call the mechanics of which "veteran") get reactivated. Speaking of paid accounts in terms of upgrading does not make sense. Now goodnight.

I'm referring to it as a trial character because it has all of the same restrictions (except the guild thing). It essentially IS a trial character created within a dormant account. Let's not stumble over semantics.

What you describe is again, your interpretation. sub-21's that are accessible regardless of status of your account. In effect meaning I can log on to dormant level 5's that were previously paid for.

My interpretation is, well you've read it already. Trials (with all the restrictions of trials, so let's call them that ok?) are created within a dormant account. Once you subscribe those trials become part of your paid account with all restrictions removed. This pretty much is what we understand will be, actually. The burning question is will you have access to these upgraded characters once you've unsubscribed? Again, we're asking the same question with different semantics maybe emphasizing our point of view.

Users who are viewing this thread