Dragonflight F2P Baseline Guide

Gearing up my hunter's been going well; I'm on my last 3 warforged equipment, and then I plan to focus more on enchanting and jewelcrafting. That said, it's taking a while for the last pieces of gear I specifically want to drop, so I thought I'd check to see if there's any more efficient way to do things than I currently am.
3.5. Do not burn out

Think! All of the hard-to-get items (WF (ilvl 87) + Socket) can be looted from a first/second boss in one of the dungeons. Once you get to that point, park your toon there and just do resets on this boss. It should take you 10-12 minutes for 10 chances at your desired item, then you can AFK for the rest of the hour and chill. It's a marathon, not a sprint.
Currently, I'm doing one of two things:
a) Going through the whole dungeon, then using the exit dungeon macro to leave in 1 minute
b) Doing only the bosses I need equipment from (say, the first one) and then running back to the entrance and resetting instances once outside.

Even the fastest attempt for me to do option b is something like 3 minutes/item. Given that the guide says I should be able to get 10 shots at my desired item (which I assume means killing the boss 10 times) in 10-12 minutes, is there something I'm not aware of? It seems to imply I can reset the boss from within the dungeon, but how?

I've started trying to gear a 20 warlock thanks to this guide. I have a few questions:

Those 4 TBC quests that reward guaranteed socketed items with a chance to upgrade to ilvl 87, does the WoD garrison upgrade from the Dwarven Bunker apply to that upgrade chance?

The guide mentioned that those could be worth re-rolling for, so are people making like a dozen or more fresh characters to try to get one (or all?) upgraded? Has anyone gotten all of them? Are there any ways you can increase your chances with that? Just lvl to 20, do the quests then start over?

I've started trying to gear a 20 warlock thanks to this guide. I have a few questions:

Those 4 TBC quests that reward guaranteed socketed items with a chance to upgrade to ilvl 87, does the WoD garrison upgrade from the Dwarven Bunker apply to that upgrade chance?

The guide mentioned that those could be worth re-rolling for, so are people making like a dozen or more fresh characters to try to get one (or all?) upgraded? Has anyone gotten all of them? Are there any ways you can increase your chances with that? Just lvl to 20, do the quests then start over?
If you're playing on a veteran (previously subscribed) account then it may be worth re-rolling as you have access to https://www.wowhead.com/item=173125/revitalizing-jewel-doublet .. on a pure F2P (never subscribed) account it's probably not worth re-rolling. I would suggest going vet if you have the option for a number of reasons.
Nobody (here) knows if the Dwarven Bunker upgrade applies to TBC quests (and in all likelihood does not). Yes, some have made dozens of characters re-rolling. Most settle for a single upgrade, but some have got two or even three upgraded items (not going to call anyone out).

Can someone explain to me the distinction between a Vet and pure F2P account these days? Based on my understanding, Vets are F2P toons rolled by formerly subscribed players. How does Vet accounts allow access to this gatekept reputation farm, when both Vet and pure F2P accounts are playing level capped characters?

Also does time of unsubscription matter? I last played in Cata (lvl 85 mains crunched to lvl 32). Is there anything gatekept by a level 50 or 60 wall for returning Vets?

Also the 16-slot reagent bag from Dire Maul is fairly easy to obtain. I got it on my first dungeon run rolling a F2P toon. Even though it's only 16 slots, it really helps keep the main bag from getting messy.

For Pandaria enchanting, I'd say crafting and DE/ing with LW is probably an efficient route to go, by farming beasts in VotFW/Jade Forest

https://www.wow-professions.com/farming/exotic-leather-farming (top 2 zones)

https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Windward_Isle

https://www.wowhead.com/npc=59743/silverhorn-stag#map Dawn's Blossom/Paw'don Village

Can also trade in https://www.wowhead.com/item=89112/mote-of-harmony for more enchanting mats.

If you want to farm purely for Motes, you can try farming here -
https://www.wow-professions.com/farming/spirit-of-harmony-farming

Also, for fresh 20s, hitting up BFA rares is pretty decent since they're dungeon ilvl - https://xpoff.com/threads/ilvl-61-starter-gear-from-bfa-rares.99155/
Tool for BFA rares, courtesy of @Stim - https://autocrit.github.io/BfA_rares/

Last edited:
This guide is amazing, ty so much for all the great research, info, tips, and making it easy to read with the great formating.

For bags I would recommend Shrouded Cloth Bag instead of Lightless. Mats are way more abundant and if you're F2P, the thread is way cheaper. Hat tip to sabby on the Discord for this great tip!

Also, depending on RNG, new F2P's may not need Mining and JC to get the Aquamarine for Minor Speed. I had 2 of them drop from Deadmines runs.

Hi all! It has been a while since the days I wrote this guide (while waiting nervously for my son, now 8 months old, to be born) and I am happy to see it's still helping people get back to the game! I am not playing much these days, so I went through the comments and tried to filter the important things to update. Here is what I added, let me know if something is missing.

Changelog report 4.0:

* As of 10.1.5, F2Ps can now access Chromie and use Chromie Time - How Shadowlands Leveling Works and Zone Expansion Level Ranges to progress through different expansions and queue for a bunch of dungeons using the dungeon finder.
* Removed the now wrong assumption that you need to group with someone to progress through the SL campaign.
* Added Strongbox of Mysterious Treasures, Cache of Mingled Treasures, and Crate of Valuable Treasures links to the Lunarfall Inn explanation, even tho with the speeds of farming bosses nowadays, I don't think those are worth doing.
* Added a note that if you want to use weapon enchants, artifact weapons are good candidates because they can be enchanted with any enchant BEFORE applying the relics (because of the initially low ilvl)
* The third boss in Shadowmoon Burial Grounds is found to be skippable by not killing the worms and swimming past the gate.
* Added Convenient Crate and Deviate Scale Pouch as the 2 alternatives to Henry's Handbag for F2Ps.

Hi all! It has been a while since the days I wrote this guide (while waiting nervously for my son, now 8 months old, to be born) and I am happy to see it's still helping people get back to the game! I am not playing much these days, so I went through the comments and tried to filter the important things to update. Here is what I added, let me know if something is missing.

Changelog report 4.0:

* As of 10.1.5, F2Ps can now access Chromie and use Chromie Time - How Shadowlands Leveling Works and Zone Expansion Level Ranges to progress through different expansions and queue for a bunch of dungeons using the dungeon finder.
* Removed the now wrong assumption that you need to group with someone to progress through the SL campaign.
* Added Strongbox of Mysterious Treasures, Cache of Mingled Treasures, and Crate of Valuable Treasures links to the Lunarfall Inn explanation, even tho with the speeds of farming bosses nowadays, I don't think those are worth doing.
* Added a note that if you want to use weapon enchants, artifact weapons are good candidates because they can be enchanted with any enchant BEFORE applying the relics (because of the initially low ilvl)
* The third boss in Shadowmoon Burial Grounds is found to be skippable by not killing the worms and swimming past the gate.
* Added Convenient Crate and Deviate Scale Pouch as the 2 alternatives to Henry's Handbag for F2Ps.
congratulation daddy DoByG

Changelog report 4.0:

Actually, the Garrison Inn dailies are still viable as it as drops a in spec item, is almost a guaranteed item every time (plus other garrison related mats) that can still proc Warforged/tertiary and socket etc. as well as can be used for enchanting mats.

Not many classes can solo WoD (without a full grind of the ilvl 87 quest socketed/gemmed lottery gear) and even if grouped up for speed runs not a guarantee of a drop each instance. I find having the dailies for alternatives is good until fully geared or such.

Actually, the Garrison Inn dailies are still viable as it as drops a in spec item, is almost a guaranteed item every time (plus other garrison related mats) that can still proc Warforged/tertiary and socket etc. as well as can be used for enchanting mats.

Not many classes can solo WoD (without a full grind of the ilvl 87 quest socketed/gemmed lottery gear) and even if grouped up for speed runs not a guarantee of a drop each instance. I find having the dailies for alternatives is good until fully geared or such.
I can't see how someone who is farming for Ilvl 87 gear can still be missing the OP trinkets 1 year later. It is infinitely more viable than garrison dailies.

So no my hunter is decked out in mostly ilv 87, what is the end game? (besides 5 man dungeons)
what improvements can we gotten from honor or mark of honor?

Also I water walked to mechagon isle, is there any way to start the quest chain there as allience? even the flight master is phased out. and i got a quest blueprint experimental adventure augment which im curious about

Follow up questions, can Allience quest in Zandalar? I got there with boat from echo isle, but dont see quests. still leveling enchanting, prefer that with questing,

as far as sockets, i see a lot of outland gear with a lot of sockets, from dungeon, that never upgrades to ilv 87?

Last edited:
mechagon unlocked there are two mounts you can farm
So no my hunter is decked out in mostly ilv 87, what is the end game? (besides 5 man dungeons)
what improvements can we gotten from honor or mark of honor?

Also I water walked to mechagon isle, is there any way to start the quest chain there as allience? even the flight master is phased out. and i got a quest blueprint experimental adventure augment which im curious about

Follow up questions, can Allience quest in Zandalar? I got there with boat from echo isle, but dont see quests. still leveling enchanting, prefer that with questing,

as far as sockets, i see a lot of outland gear with a lot of sockets, from dungeon, that never upgrades to ilv 87?
https://xpoff.com/threads/mechagon-is-now-available.99638/

there are some BC dungeons quest items, that can proc epic 87 for a 20.

I'm guessing BG queue times for F2P's are still too long/dead right?
Nope they're popping all the time actually. 29s will be there tho but the 20s I've been seeing lately hit hard. If you gear wisely and apply your self. Long waits not during peak hours but during peak hours I was getting back to back games popping with like 3-10 mins in between. Arenas pop too and if they're all twinks, it's actually fun as well. There's a boatload of 20s still queing and it's actually more fun playing as a 20 then 29. I have both and kinda feel embarassed to play my 29s atm...

Nope they're popping all the time actually. 29s will be there tho but the 20s I've been seeing lately hit hard. If you gear wisely and apply your self. Long waits not during peak hours but during peak hours I was getting back to back games popping with like 3-10 mins in between. Arenas pop too and if they're all twinks, it's actually fun as well. There's a boatload of 20s still queing and it's actually more fun playing as a 20 then 29. I have both and kinda feel embarassed to play my 29s atm...
@Sketchbag

I saw you're on US servers- this is the first post I've seen saying that BGs pop in US. Is there any community at all? Saw you were ally on BH.

Was considering rolling on EU to get some queues, though I suppose it might not work as it would be off prime time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread